On the night
Thanks for taking part in Walking Stars 2018!
Walking Stars 2018
When: Saturday 24 November 2018
Where: The Grandstand on Football Road in the Auckland Domain
Both the start line and finish line for Walking Stars are at the Grandstand in the Auckland Domain.
Join us at the Grandstand in the Auckland Domain from 7.30pm for pre-event entertainment where you can buy spot prize balloons and prepare to set off.
Your night time walking half-marathon will begin at 8:15pm.
- 7:30pm: Pre-event entertainment
- 8:00pm: Safety briefing & opening ceremony
- 8:15pm: Power walkers begin
- 8:25pm: Striders begin
- 8:35pm: Strollers begin
For the safety and enjoyment of everyone at Walking Stars, it’s important that you start in the right group for your walking speed. This helps prevent congestion on the route.
How to get there
As there are over 3,500 participants, we recommend carpooling with other walkers or using public transport where possible. You can find public transport options with Auckland Transport's journey planner.
If you are driving, allow plenty of time to find a parking space. There is no road access to Auckland Domain during the event so you will be unable to park in the Domain itself. There is street parking available around the Domain, as well as paid car parks in Grafton and Newmarket.
If you are using a paid car park, remember to check what time the car park closes as you may not get back to your car until after midnight.
What to bring
For a great night, remember to bring along the following items:
- Walker number and safety pins
- Torch, headlamp, or anything that shines bright to help you glow!
- Comfortable and appropriate clothing
- Sensible, closed footwear that you’ve trained in
- Long sleeve thermal top to wear under your T-shirt if it’s cold
- Rain jacket – hopefully not needed!
- Your own water bottle for water stops en route
- Your own snacks to keep you going on the walk
- Cash for spot prize balloons!
Please note ALL roads on the route are open to traffic.
The route may feel busy at times, particularly at road crossing points. You will be walking alongside some fast moving traffic, so please remember to keep safe by walking on the pavement at all times.
- Please complete your personal information on the back of your walker number, and ensure your walker number is visible at all times during the walk
- Always walk with at least one other person
- Study the route so you know where you are going
- Do not walk on the road in an effort to pass others
- Only cross the road at designated crossing points
In the event of an emergency:
- Ensure that you and others are not in danger
- Assess the situation and any injuries
- Call emergency services on 111 or the Medical Officer on 0800 367 368
- Stay with the injured person until help arrives
Roving Medical Officer 0800 367 368
Emergency Services 111
Walking Stars Event Control Centre 021 088 09147 (for on the night, non-medical contact only)