Walking Stars 2020
Saturday 21 November 2020
Waitangi Park in Wellington
Join us at Waitangi Park from 7.30pm for pre-event entertainment where you can be prepare to set off.
Your night time walking half-marathon will begin at 8:15pm.
- 7:30pm Pre-event entertainment
- 8:00pm Safety briefing & opening ceremony
- 8:15pm Power walkers begin
- 8:25pm Striders begin
- 8:35pm Strollers begin
For the safety and enjoyment of everyone at Walking Stars, it’s important that you start in the right group for your walking speed. This helps prevent congestion on the route.
How to get there
With over 1500 expected participants, we recommend carpooling with other walkers or using public transport where possible. You can find public transport options with Metlink's journey planner.
If you are driving, allow plenty of time to find a parking space. There is no specific parking area allocated for Walking Stars or for Waitangi Park.
If you are using a paid car park, remember to check what time the car park closes as you may not get back to your car until after midnight.
What to bring
For a great night, remember to bring along the following items:
- Walker number and safety pins
- Torch, headlamp, or anything that shines bright to help you glow!
- Comfortable and appropriate clothing
- Sensible, closed footwear that you’ve trained in
- Long sleeve thermal top to wear under your T-shirt if it’s cold
- Rain jacket – hopefully not needed!
- Your own water bottle for water stops en route
- Your own snacks to keep you going on the walk
Please note ALL roads on the route are open to traffic.
The route may feel busy at times, particularly at road crossing points. You will be walking alongside some fast moving traffic, so please remember to keep safe by walking on the pavement at all times.
- Please complete your personal information on the back of your walker number, and ensure your walker number is visible at all times during the walk
- Always walk with at least one other person
- Study the route so you know where you are going
- Do not walk on the road in an effort to pass others
- Only cross the road at designated crossing points
In the event of an emergency:
- Ensure that you and others are not in danger
- Assess the situation and any injuries
- Stay with the injured person until help arrives
Walking Stars Event Control Centre 020-4017-3664
(for on the night, non-medical contact only)